Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:13:16 EDT
Hello everyone,

I spent half the day on Sunday driving our route from Antioch to Sacramento
for the delivery of our ferret petitions on Wed.  Sept.  5th to the
Governor's Office.  It's a really pretty route once you're out a ways from
Antioch.  The total route is 56 miles or so, more than I've done in
training so far, but not as hilly as where I've been training on this side
of the bay.  We decided to shorten the route since we may have to do a
press thing at about 11:00 or so.  This means we're starting out literally
at daylight, but we need to get there in time for anything that might be
planned regarding the press.

Anyone wanting to join up is more than welcome!  There are several towns
along the route and below are guestimates (pretty good ones) regarding
distances from Sacramento so you can bite of whatever you can handle.  Keep
in mind that we may be on a tight schedule (as I said, there may be a press
conference scheduled for late morning) so we won't be able to slow down for
stragglers.  Two of my biking partners are triathletes but I'm not and I
won't be on a road bike so I'll be the straggler in that group :).  But the
route is flat, so it shouldn't be too tough.

Here's the route:
We'll be staying the night in Antioch right off Hwy 4 and Somersville at
the Best Western (3210 Delta Fair Blvd Tel/925 778-2000) because we'll
probably start out around 6:00-6:30 A.M.  That's before the chickens get
up but if we do a news thing at the capitol we've got to be there early,
and we'll beat the heat this way too!

From Antioch we'll catch Hwy 160 (this is a small two lane road with
virtually no shoulder but very little traffic, at least on Sunday) and go
over the Antioch bridge.  Pass the bridge to Rio Vista, do not go to Rio
Vista but continue on 160 to Isleton.Isleton is approximately 33 miles
from Sacramento.

The next town is Walnut Grove which is about 25 miles outside Sacramento.
If you go left there, you're on River Road (actually 160 seems to go on
both sides of the river for a while.  It's really pretty and easy riding.
About 20 miles out is the town of Courtland.

The next town is Hood which is 17 miles from Sacramento and beyond that is
Freeport which is about 9 or 10 miles from the Capitol.  Following 160 all
the way into the city, Hwy 160 turns into 16th street.  Once on 16th street
we make a left on L street and we're there!

We are over 30,000 signatures now.  Please send yours so that they arrive
by August 30th which will give me time to count and organize them.

Thanks for a great job.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Rd.