Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 01:37:54 -0700
For my baby, Sierra Sweetness . . born 7/4/00, adopted 11/8/00, crossed
9/16/02  You were much too young to leave my darling  . . . . . . .
* * * * *

Sierra was glad the Kewlkritter fur-angels were there when she arrived at
The Bridge.  Her journey seemed such a surprise.  No one really expected
she would arrive so soon.  She didn't know what to make of it all.  Dad
had told all of them about The Bridge yet something wasn't right.
Whenever a child seemed ready to leave dad would hold them and tell them
a special story.  Daddy didn't do that with her.  It was almost as though
it was completely unexpected.  At 2 years old she was still a baby.

Sierra had a dilemma.  They had told her of the waiting process.  How
they wait at the Bridge until their hooman comes to meet them and they go
on together as a family.  The question was, who should she wait for?  She
went to Simon, the eldest and the wisest of the group for advice.

"I'm not certain what to do . . .I have a hooman mom also" Sierra
explained.  "My mom is this real pretty young girl.  She would let me run
and play with me.  She loved me lots.  Her mommy and daddy went to live
in different places.  She couldn't keep me.  She gave me away until she
could come back for me".

Simon sighed . . .  "You've waited for her quite a bit, haven't you?" he
asked.  Sierra nodded while replying "It seems like forever".  Simon took
her by the paw and lead her to the reflecting pool.  Dipping his paw in
the still waters he swirled the water in a counterclockwise motion.
"Look back, Sierra" , he said, "look back and let your heart guide you".

A series of images flashed before her eyes.  Moments with her teenage
'mom', the tearful goodbye.  All the other images were of her and daddy.
'Daddy' holding her close, playing with her, all the friends she had.
The she saw the image of the man she called 'daddy' holding her lifeless
body cradled against his chest.  Tears fell freely from his eyes . .
."Too soon . . why?  Why did you leave? " he kept repeating.  The image
changed as though she was looking inside him.  She could see his heart...
holes in his heart the shape of a ferret . . .so many of them.  She could
hear him say through his tears, 'Another piece of me is gone . . .  gone
with you, baby girl".

Tears fell from Sierras eyes.  When she arrived she was given a box to
stash in her hidey hole.  They said it would give her comfort and keep
her close to those who loved her.  Sierra now realized what it was . .
a piece of daddy's heart.

"you daddy ... ' Sierra whimpered through the tears, 'I'll wait for you
 ......"

Kevin B & The Way Kewl Kritter Crew
Member of the Pacific Ferret Shelter Network http://www.FERRETNET.ORG