From:
Tracy Jose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:46:48 -0600
Hello FML,
I am looking for advice on how to help bring a ferret out of depression.  I
recently took in a 4 year old MF ferret named Leah.  She was an only ferret
for four years and had some companionship with the previous owner's cat.
She was being fed Science Diet.  I have five other ferrets in which one of
them, Spunky, has to remain by herself because she too was an only ferret
for a couple of years and is terrified of other ferrets.  I introduced Leah
and Spunky together, since they were both mild-mannered.  They now sleep
together but Spunky does not want to play with Leah, she would rather just
play with me.  I have tried to introduce Leah to my other ferts, but they
just try to dominate her...I don't want to subject her to that right now
since she is still adjusting to her new home.  She was terrified of them.

So, now Leah has nobody to play with and she doesn't even want to play with
any toys or games that I have for her.  She just walks from room to room
following me and laying there, hardly moving, closing her eyes half way,
looking so sad.  She has lost weight and only eats a little bit.  I pick
her up and cuddle her all the time and try to initiate play with her and
with her & Spunky....she just has no ambition to do anything.  I am really
worried for her.  The vet is coming to my house today to do some more tests
on my other fert who has possible insulinoma and she said she would check
out Leah right away too.  I know that Leah is trying to adjust to her new
surroundings but I don't know what else to do for her.

Thanks!
Tracy J.
Tango, Chico, Roo, Pepe', Spunky & Leah