Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:20:37 -0800
Tony O'Sullivan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I would like to know if ferret owners in the US or other places have these
>animals micro-chiped, if not why not.

We microchip all of our ferrets and some of our rabbits.  (Many rabbits
can be identified from a photo, but sable ferrets all start to look alike
after a while.) I can tell you that expense is the primary reason many
shelters and individuals can not microchip.  With all of the other
expenses involved in running a shelter the additional money may not be
available.

We have had up to 20 ferrets together in one group, and *I* had to depend
upon their microchip to correctly identify them to the adopter and to know
who's vaccinations were due and when.  And of course, ferrets tend to
accidentally escape from homes, while rabbits like to stay close to their
"warren" and don't wander off on their own.

I too have sent periodic letters out to shelters who take in ferrets to
let them know that we're microchipping all of our ferrets.  I *think*
(hope) that most of the shelters are now scanning these critters.

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
   dba House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org