From:
"Cindy C. Sooy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 23:39:04 -0700
My vet started Cocoa on .5 units of insulin 2x a day.  I took him in today
for glucose tests.  His glucose levels are still quite high, 350-450 range.
I'll be increasing his insulin level to 1 unit 2x a day.  I take him in
next Tues.  for more tests.  My vet says she has a patient, a diabetic
ferret, that was diagnosed as diabetic about 1.5 years ago.  She contacted
other vets but couldn't find any with experience in ferret diabetes so she
treated her like a cat.  That ferret is on 3 units 2x a day.  She says that
is very high but that's the level it took to stabilize her blood sugar
levels.  She says its possible that ferrets need a much higher insulin
level than cats.

When I picked Cocoa up from the vets I noticed his hind feet were swollen.
My vet said she didn't think it was related to the diabetes, but I thought
people with diabetes also had problems with circulation in their feet.
Tonight I noticed his feet are not so swollen but are cool to the touch.
Anyone with experience with diabetic ferrets have any problems with
swelling in their feet?

Thanks to everyone who wrote with advice or stories of ferrets who
survived some time with diabetes. It was very encouraging.

Cindy