From:
Valkyrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 01:45:05 +8000
Hi folks,

I've been reading todays ferret-list and something kind of got under my
skin.  I didn't quite know how to express so I'm going to do it the best
way I know how.  I'm going to tell a short story.  I'm not much of a writer
but what the heck. :)  Now remember this story is just that, a story.  This
will most likely never happen, but imagine if it did.  Remember, to every
action is a reaction.

Nancy

THE LAST DOOK

One day without any warning the last ferret on earth died.  Yes, people it
is sad to say, but the domestic ferret is now extinct.  There will be no
more dooks, no more errant raisins under the couch, no more war dances.
Why you say?  Well we have to look at history.  You see, they were loved to
death.  How can something be loved to death you ask?  It's easy.  Many
people all over the world loved ferrets.  They would buy one, discover the
joys of being a caretaker and then something called "ferret math" would
take over.  Suddenly there were millions of people with not just one ferret
but upwards into the 20's and 30's.  The trouble began when people started
buying ferrets and then discovered they didn't like, need, want, have time
for or maybe just didn't understand ferrets.  This outraged the ferret
lovers.  Many started opening shelters, taking in these little love bugs,
an admirable crew were these ferret moms and dads.  Some started advocating
the altering of ferrets another admirable crew, really now...it was getting
to be a problem that needed to be solved.

There were also people against the breeding of ferrets for fun or profit.
Others were against them being sold in pet stores.  Still others felt that
ferrets should be sold for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, making it
difficult for common folk to have this wonderful pet.  Many a child, that
back in the late 1990's may have had a chance to love a ferret, can only
dream of what it would be like to take care of and love a masked raisin
rustler.

Soon, the only people who had ferrets were rich.  The only ferrets that were
alive were altered.  The happy day came when no more shelters were needed.
Shelter mom and dads smiled as they closed their doors.  The ferret lovers
all nodded their heads at the fine job they had finally accomplished over
the years.  Most of the breeders had shut down.  "No more baby ferrets, they
said.  No one liked them anyways, they were evil people you know.  They put
baby ferrets out there to be adopted/purchased by irresponsible,
self-absorbed, impulse buyers.  tsk tsk.

Anyhow, everyone was happy.  Happy dooks abound.  Ding dong, the problem is
dead.  Everyone snuggled with there fuzzies and congratulated each other on
a job well done.  No more petstores, breeders, or shelters.  Everyone who
owns a ferret can afford its care without fail.

A tiny voice from far back in the corner of the new ferret world spoke.
"Dook, dook, but where is me a new fwend?" And another voice, "Dookie do,
no more babies.  Oh hoomans, what have you done?" And with that, silence
became the dreaded invader through the minds of the ferret lovers.  Today
is that day, the day of the last dook.

The End