From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:59:12 +1000
Ok, I should apologize to Mary regarding my comments on herbal
treatments.  I was a bit harsh, and said what I meant to say rather
badly.

I am quite convinced there are many herbal and homeopathic/aromatheraputic
remedies for many of the things that ail humans and animals alike..(after
all, most many modern day medicines have evolved from plant extracts and
ancient cures), and much of Marys advice is very good, it just seem to
add confusion (IMHO) as too what was good for ferrets and what was good
for humans.

I was just really concerned that people would start dosing their ferrets
with all sorts of herbal/homeopathic remedies based on the thoughts
that "well if it helps me, then it must help my furball"., without
understanding the possible risks/usefulness/appropriate applications
in ferrets and/or safe dosages, and the post seemed to put across the
message that human "remedies" could be applied to ferrets.  (And, I am
sure some can, and would love to see a well researched paper on this,
as I am sure some remedies would help and supply nutrients not usually
included in some kibbles etc)

However, I just meant to point out that some herbal remedies will not be
suitable for ferrets, and others may be harmful in large doses (to such a
small animal) or just plain harmful, and/or completely ineffective, due
to the differences in biology between ferrets and humans.  For example
long term use of some remedies can be harmful to humans and are only
meant for short term use (they can build up to toxic levels in the body)
and others are just plain poisonous in large doses e.g.: belladonna.

Some will simply not be able to be appropriately digested nor absorbed in
the ferrets rather unique metabolic system.

I also wanted to point out that if you yourself have the flu, you should
probably not be medicating your ferret yourself, as you will be more
likely to transmit the illness to the ferret, then prevent it , (by
handling their food/medication/them) (IMHO).

so, my apologies for wording my original post badly.

Darrin