From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 08:13:14 -0500
>Subject: Legallity of Ferrets in NYC
>
>Thankyou every who responded to my question about whether or not ferrets are
>legal in New York City.  I am still very confused but for anyone who wants
>to know this is what I think is true:Ferrets are illegal to sell or buy in
>New York City, but not in the rest of New York State.  You can OWN a ferret
>in New York City but you need a permit.  Thanks again!
>
>-Zebe
>
>[Moderator's note: No, you can't own one either, but the rule is virtually
>ignored.  BIG]

Actually, there is no prohibition on ferret ownership in NYC.  Up until last
year the Newy York state permit carried a warning that ferrets were not
legal within the 5 Bouroughs of the city.  Last year it was brought to the
attention of the Attorney General's Office that the "ban" was only an
administrative interpretation by the city health dept.  and did not carry
the force of law.  As such the warning will be removed from the permit,
permits will be issued to those within the city, and the NYC health Dept.
has been instructed to stop telling people they are illegal.  For more
information contact David Guthartz at NY Ferret Rights Advocacy (516)
536-6615.

[FM]

[Moderator's note: No need to apologize to state a valid opinion -- we
welcome lots of opinions on this list.  Thanks for responding!

Let me expand on my note a bit... I hope I'm wrong, but... well, this is the
way I understand it:

Agreed, there is no law which actually mentions ferrets, but the NY City
Dept of Health considers it their privilege to interpret the regulations to
mean that ferrets are not allowed.

To my knowledge, many legal challenges to overturn this interpretation have
not succeeded.  Simply put, if NYC wishes to prohibit ferret ownership they
are free to do so even if their reasons are stupid and illogical.

Dave's beliefs notwithstanding, ferrets are not sold anywhere in NYC and
people have indeed been fined for possesion.  The state has issued permits
to NYC residents for years, and the NYC specific wording was removed from
the permits years ago -- it was pointed out that the fact that NYC "prohibts"
ferrets is not a concern of the state but purely a local matter, like
parking enforcement.  Besides, the state is glad to take your $10.  BIG]