Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 02:06:23 -0500
This is a message I have been asked to forward to all Ferret Lovers across
the US.  This is something that ALL of us can do, even those out of the
state of CA.  So start writing, please.  CDFA1

Jan 1996
Dear M. Furo Enthusiast,

A window on public commentary is now open on all Department of Fish and Game
regulations and will remain open until the end of February.  (Ed note.....
good, time for more than one letter, if you want) This is in response to a
directive from Governor Wilson for all agencies to review excess, burdensome
and unnecessary regulations (Ed note....  boy do we fall into that one).
The ban on our favorite domesticated animal is a perfect example of a
regulation which is very burdensome (it criminalizes good people for
something they already have a right to do) and is entirely unnecessary
(these pets are legal virtually everywhere else and are one of the safest
pets to the environment and to people).

Our bill, SB 55, became a regulatory bill and did not address legalization.
Sadly, it died in committee.  We feel that the mandatory spay/neuter and
rabies vaccination was good for the animal and we may see a similar measure
introduced in the Assembly, however, since last August, our best hopes have
been with the Fish and Game Commission because they will consider one
question: Is this animal wild or domesticated?  They have already voted to
go to notice on this issue, so save a copy or your letter to redate and
;mail when the Fish and Game Commission opens the window on public
commentary for this particular issue.

But right now we can comment on ANY regulation so, please write and get at
least 20 friends, relatives, co-workers, and aquaintances to join you.  Our
voices need to be heard.  Don't miss this opportunity to let the CA Fish and
Game Commission know what you feel, but please use diplomacy, as making them
angry may only hurt our fight in the long run.  Include your name and
address, but do not admit to ferret ownership, unless you live in a legal
area.  Write before February 29th to insure that your letters are part of
the official record.

Write to:
Mr. Robert Treanor
Executive Director Fish and Game Commission
14169th Street 13th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814

Send a copy of your letter to the Governor of CA as well at:
Governor Pete Wilson
Governor's Office
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

Thanks for your help, and together we WILL succeed.

Jeanne Carley