From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:18:19 -0700
When I read someone's post about banging pots to test for ferret deafness,
I thought of a cute thing Gizmo used to do.

I figured something loud and scary like the vacuum would be the perfect
test to see if my ferrets could all hear.  So when I turned it on, 3 of the
five bolted to the nearest hidey-hole, Sandy would perk up startled but not
run, but Gizmo would just sit there.  So I'd start vacuuming and Giz would
come over to the vacuum, sniff it, walk over it, try to sit on it, and chew
at the snakey attachment extension.  So I figured he might be deaf.  *BUT*
he always listened when I called his name.  He was the first to learn his
name and come running to me.  If he was being bad (like scratching at the
carpet), and I yelled his name, he always stopped.  So I think he just
liked the sound of the vacuum.  Go figure.

=====
Aileen & the Herd minus one Herdling
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, Sandy, & Rootie the beagle
Missing Gizmo so much. We love you, baby.

Check out the Herd's website at:
 http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/7414/index.html