From:
Lisa Scatassa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:20:48 -0400
Hi Everyone, this is my first post to the FML.

My boyfriend, his male cat, and small 3 year old female ferret recently
moved in with me and my male cat.  After about a week, all animals were
very well adjusted to each other, and now regularly play and sleep
together.

Worried that our little Furfie Starbuck (female sable, 3 yrs) needed a
little playmate of her own, we recently purchased a small female marshall
ferret, quite young, from a local pet store.

The new ferret (as of yet unnamed) is healthy and playful, non-agressive,
and very curious.  The cats both already love her dearly, often
"babysitting" her as she explores her new home.  Unfortunately, our
existing ferret is causing some problems!

We've let them spend some time sniffing each other's bedding, calmly
stroking both in close proximity, sharing some ferretone, and basically
letting them get used to each other.  It's been a week now, and Furfie
still seems very upset about this new addition.  She either runs away as
soon as she sees the little one, or grabs the back of her neck and attempts
to violently shake her.

We are new at indroductions, and are quite concerned with this behavior.
We anticipated an adjustment period, but not this constant cycle of
disinterest and attack.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should we be
concerned?  We cannot keep them in the same cage, or even in the same
room without encountering problems!

Any advice or help would be appreciated! Please respond via FML or email
to me directly at [log in to unmask] Thanks!
Lisa, Jason, and family:
Brian Boitano (cat), Loki (cat), Furfie Starbuck (ferret) and little
nameless bundle of joy (new furball)