From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:41:49 -0500
Dear BIG and FML readers I appreciate the opportunity to seek some closure

"Ferret Adversities" from 11-19-96 was NOT pointing fingers at any
organization and it was NOT from any organization.  I wrote the post and
made it clear that my concerns were that of a concerned ferret owner.  No
mention was made of the shelter I volunteer at or the nearly 200 ferrets
through it's doors in almost 2 years time.  I do not now reply as either
Ferret Wise Shelter or as a representative of LIFE.  I apologize to the
readership in advance for having to make a rebuttal, but it seems some
folks must press on.

Mr. Killian was named in the content of my post "Ferret Adversities" as he
had made several posts in the past week in reference to shelter counts :
first saying there was a distribution problem, not a shelter problem, then
stating some areas had shelter problems etc.  He was not pointed at or
singled out for any other reason than his zealous responses to earlier posts
on the subjects of adrenal disease and ferrets.  That is what the post was
about -- THE EARLY ALTER ISSUE Vs POSSIBLE ADRENAL DISEASE RELATIONSHIP.
The post was NOT on organizations and influences etc.  While I know he, Mr.
Killian, is not a vet or scientific reasearcher in the biology or medical
fields he adamantly defends MF and in my opinion that sends messages that it
is ok to alter ferrets at 4.5 weeks of age or thereabouts.  He (Mr. Killian)
has since expressed his dissatisfaction to the points of early altering so
why put on a charade?  Why try to cloud the issues and questions raised with
defense tactics and finger pointing to affiliations?  These only muddy the
REAL issues and questions.

Mr. Killian forever brings up affiliations.  Yes, it is true, I was asked to
serve as a national shelter coordinator due to the fact that our shelter is
a state licensed , non profit and 501c3 corporation.  BUT I DID NOT MAKE
THAT ANNOUNCEMENT ON FML.  The hope I have is to spread the knowledge to
other shelters or would be shelters.  No other organization (outside of
LIFE) took notice of the work or asked for any input... so why condemn those
that did.  WHETEHER THEY CHOSE TO GIVE ME A BANNER my works is still the
same and the purpose is the same for the ferret.

The post "Ferret Adversities" was made out of genuine concern for the early
alter ferrets.  Daily readings on this list reveal more and more adrenal
symptoms and at an earlier ages than in years past.  Folks should recognize
this problem.  THAT was the point of my post.  I feel through my personal
experiences with this disease that the reasons for evidence of adrenal
disease cannot be swayed aside by off handed comments of stress inducement,
poor nutrition etc.  Though I am NOT saying this isn't in some cases
possible.  I am a layman and want questions answered -- if they cannot be,
perhaps as a group we can influence those who could answer these questions
to start looking for answers.  But, some folks tend to digress.

Though this was not the issue I now wonder why Mr. Killian continues to blow
his horn on denigrating LIFE???  I am not speaking for LIFE, but as a person
affiliated with LIFE.  It is LIFE's policy not to publicly make derogatory
comments about other organizations.  LIFE did not attack him.  But he
continues to harp, and harp, and harp on LIFE.  I am shocked and amazed by
his comments as he takes a plea for research and understanding and turns it
into a slam session pitching organization against organization, breeder
against breeder.  Let's have some peace.  No one is attacking you Mr.
Killian, at least not to my knowledge.  You comments tend to be libelous, so
let's stop the horse before the cart.  Let's get back to the real issue, the
FERRET, and it's well being.  The small organization of LIFE has shelters
and clubs across the country, why should you offend so many folks trying to
help the ferret, sharing a common goal?  I have seen all this before...
Folks making posts on one subject or another and replies to them from you ,
boldly attack LIFE or pitching other organizations.  Why do you single out
every person who posts and point out that they are LIFE members?  Do you
think because they are not AFA members, not NAFA members -- and some are or
have been that they are inferior?, offensive?  PLEASE -- Let's put this
behind.  We ( ferret owners in general) are not in this for politics, at
least the folks I talk to and email are not -- the COMMON goal here is the
ferret, understanding, educating, sheltering.  Why take up offensive actions
and designate corners when it would be beneficial to work TOGETHER.

A cooperative of information is what I feel the FML audience wants and needs
( of course this is only my opinion).  They do not need the political
tactics shoved down their throats on every issue.  Can we get on with the
ferret now..  there is work to be done, ferrets to be healed and causes to
be revealed.  Construction not destruction is the way to go.  Heal thyself.

Alicia
as a ferret owner who has concerns