From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:41:19 -0500
This is a subject near and dear to my heart as I agnozied about getting a
dog and not limiting my ferrets current lifestyle in any way.  (1) there
are a lot of people out there with ferrets and dogs and that successfully
coexist (2) Most vets will probably tell you that they have any number of
ferrets come in that ended up dying from dog play/attacks.  So it can be
done and you must NEVER NEVER NEVER drop your guard.

I feel that there are many variables that play into this, first the
personality of the individual animals (which may out weigh behavior normally
assigned to breed type), breed type, personality of the ferrets (my one girl
stalks the dog in a very mean way, she does not like him), methods of
introduction, etc.

As far as yesterdays two posts - you are both talking about Northern breeds
(Siberian Huskies and Sammies).  When researching what type of dog I thought
might give me the greatest chance of success (barring individuality) I
crossed these off my list - very high prey drive (generally), along with
terriers (bred to be rat killers and very high prey drive although prey
drive varies by breed considerably) and to a lesser extent, hounds.  So the
people on the Sammie list are being honest.  Before people with these dogs
get in an uproar let me say I'm sure that there are dogs and ferrets in
these groups that coexist - however I believe that you are pretty lucky.  As
to getting the Husky - please reconsider the breed, I know of 3 Sibe/ferret
homes that did not work out.  As for the Sammie situation - it sounds like
the dog has a high prey drive and I would be very very careful.  Biddability
in a breed is another thing to look for.  Some dog breeds are very
independent and hard headed.

Things to do (especially for the Sammie owner): Before introducing the dog
and ferrets make sure you take the dog to obediance school so you have VERY
good control of the dog.  Ask the instructors for help teaching a good
"leave it" and practice it till you can take anything away from the dog and
get it to wait for bones laying on the ground till you give the command.

Invest 6.00 in a soft nylon muzzle, get the dog used to wearing it a little
bit at a time (dogs can't pant with these on very well so it should only be
used for limited times).

Once you have a little control, introduce the dog to the ferrets in the cage
for awhile, ignore or correct negative behavior while giving liberal "good
dogs" and treats for even small amounts of good behavior (ignoring the
ferrets in the cage).  Intersperse this with kenneling the dog in the living
room or where ever the ferrets roam and play and letting the dog watch them
from the kennel while you interact with them and love them.  Give them a
treat then treat the dog in the kennel - always treat the ferrets first so
the dog knows they are "SOMEBODY".

If that seems to be going well, muzzle and leash the dog with the ferrets
out.  Hang on to the dog and give calming massages and good dogs while the
ferrets run around.

When thats going well (this may take a session or two, days weeks whatever -
DONT RUSH IT) give the dog slack on the leash.

After evaluation, let the dog w/muzzle run around while the ferrets run
around.

Leash again, take muzzle off and see how that goes.

Eventually (may take a couple of days, may take weeks) when you feel
comfortable you may have a relatively harmonius household.

NEVER leave them together unsupervised.  A dog can break training ONCE and
may not even be trying to hurt the ferret and kill it in an instant.  I know
a lot of people have not used all the above steps and have not had a problem
but I think that's breed/individual dog dependent and they might have had
cats too.  Obviously puppies are easier.  The above is primarily for dogs.
ALWAYS do research on different breeds before you make a choice, there is
far more involved than looks.

Good luck, please be careful and let us know how it goes.

Mary and Booker (the Awesom Aussie)
P.S. Just a suggestion, I got my dog from pure breed rescue with the
stipulation that I wanted a dog that they thought would get along with the
ferrets.  There is pure breed rescue for almost every breed.  They are often
fostered in homes that know the dog.  They will usually help get you a dog
they think will work out (as in not this dog he killed a cat, but this dog
was in a house with cats, birds and livestock in the yard).  You may have
to wait but patience is worth it.  Also you can give the dog back to rescue
knowing it will find another home.  I think this is a very good way to go
if you want to rescue vs.  getting a puppy.