From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:33:47 -0400
>My 8yr.old ferret has recently lost a lot of weight and seems weak--
>especially in his hindquarters.  My vet admits that she has had little
>experience with ferrets, and thinks his symptoms must only be due to "old
>age"-with no recommended treatment.  He still eats, drinks, and has no
>bathroom problems.  His disposition is as sweet as ever,and affectionate--
>just not very active at all.  Any ideas?

Dear X -

There isn't much information to go on here.  Geriatric ferrets do lose
muscle mass over time, and often have mild nerve degeneration in back legs,
which causes weakness in the hindlimbs.  However this may also be seen in
a number of treatable and non-treatable conditions - without more of a
workup, it is difficult to tell what is really going on.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM