From:
Trish Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:40:37 -0700
Thank you to all for the reassurance that Merry will be ok.  I've been in
need of lots hand holding through this.  We've been ferret owners for less
than 2 years and this is our first major issue.  Merry is a 2 yr. old
Path Valley female, very dark sable.  They found an irregular tissue mass
attached to her intestine.  X-rays & needle aspirate really didn't tell
us what it was, only what it wasn't so the vet wanted to remove it and
then do a biopsy.  The surgery went well and it's up to her intestinal
tissue to hold together.

Merry had the surgery on Mon.  6/17 and the vet told us they would be
releasing her today.  We are going to have to give her antibiotics and
the vet said the oral kind taste really bad and we might have to give her
a shot instead (yikes!).  The vet said to feed her canned food for awhile.
I don't think she'll like it.  Maybe I'll try baby food if that doesn't
work or a make some kind of duck soup.  I have a few recipes from the
FML.  They have been syringe feeding her but she'll drink water on her
own.  I'm really glad they kept her and monitored her to give her 2 days
to heal before we moved her.

As I'm typing this, my boyfriend just called and said when he got to
the office they told him that Merry can't go home (didn't you get out
message?)  I'm not sure when they tried to call but at 12:30 they said
she could go home and at 2:00 PM when he got there they said that they
were keeping her.  The vet that performed the surgery wasn't there and
Anthony spoke with a different vet who said Merry's incision was inflamed
and when the infammation went down, a small gap in the stitiching was
showing (hernia?).  They want to monitor her for one more day and may
have to open her up and re-stitch.  I am glad that they are paying so
much attention to these details because I know these first few days after
the surgery are crucial and we are glad she is in good hands.  Still
praying to get a princess back safe & sounds.

Trish ~ Merry, Pippin & Zira