From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:37:04 -0500
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled lunch lickers...

(Hey!  Get away from that sandwich!  It's MINE!  Don't lick that!
EEEeeewww!)

I've got five different types of cages for my furkids and have found them
all to be effective, except for one, which was escaped from only once.
You won't believe who escaped from it, either!

This cage has a large spring with a hook-type latch that you stretch,
then hook over one of the wires of the cage.  The spring strength is
quite good and is very effective in holding the door in a closed
position.

However, one night, Ziggy, who was my blind blaze, decided he wasn't
quite ready for bed yet and went to the front door of his cage.  He
pushed his nose against one edge of the door until he had gotten a gap
opened, then shoved his snout into the gap, then squeezed the rest of his
body out.  The door snapped shut on his tail, causing him to let out a
loud squeal.  I came down to see what happened and found him scooting
around the living room, looking for something to get into.

I thought maybe I'd forgotten to put him back in his cage, so I scooped
him up, put him back, then sat on the luv seat next to his cage.  Not
being able to see me, he marched right back to the door and started doing
the same escape!!!

I learned to stretch the spring a bit farther and put more force on
the cage door to keep it closed better and he never escaped from it.
However, because he was blind, I think that he didn't *know* that the
door was supposed to be secure, so he just went out when he felt like
it! :)

On a side note, this was the cage that he had been in for some time.
When I got him (and his cagemate, Add-A-Kiss), he came with the cage,
so its obvious that he knew that trick.  I learned how to prevent it
from happening again, but to know that a blind ferret knew how to escape
from a cage was definitely an interesting experience! :)

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/