From:
Bryan Hollingsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 03:40:58 -0600
I must first start this by stating that the offender of the atrocity is NOT
the supermarket that I found this in.

My wife and I have been the roommates of one beautiful little fuzzy for
just over 2 years now.  Last night we were doing some late night grocery
shopping and I came across a display stand with some small stuffed animals
in it.  What caught my attention was that there was actually a FERRET in
there!  I immediately picked it up, excited as could be, and then noticed
the "Squeeze Me" sticker on the front.  "OMG" I thought, "Not only do I get
a small ferret toy for my desk, but it makes sounds!" Then I squeezed.
To my horror I was listening to what sounded like a ferret that was about
to die, and it was loud enough to be heard 2 isles over ( I have had the
unfortunate experience of hearing a ferret in pain once before, I never
wish to hear it again).  I didn't know what to do, I just stared blankly at
it in shock.  That is when the real horror hit me.  I wasn't holding a toy.
I was holding a dog chew toy.

As my wife came around the corner I threw the monstrosity back to the bin
and stormed off.  After walking around for a few minutes I went back to the
bin, picked it up, and proceeded to hunt down the night manager.  I asked
him who I would need to talk to about where this came from, and how I could
get in touch with the supplier.  I got a blank look at fist, then after
calmly explaining that I was a ferret owner, and after making a fast
comparison to a small kitten chew toy that made death sounds, he
understood.  I think the image of hundreds of enraged cat owners beating
down his door entered his mind.  I was given the store's phone number and
the name of the store director.  I will be calling on Monday.

My question/request is this.  Has anyone ever come across something like
this before?  Is there a way to handle a situation like this that has been
successful in the past?  My thoughts are that depending on how the talk
with the store director goes, I might have to write a letter to the
regional director, or higher, and may actually need many letters for other
ferret owners asking for the removal of the item from their stores.  After
that I can go to the manufacturer and start on them.

I can see how this might sound a little "out there" to someone who does not
know that ferrets are wonderful animals that, IMHO, are more affectionate
and gentle that cats and dogs.  I just can't see how this is any different
that if it was a stuffed kitten or even infant or small child chew toy.
Some things are better left NEVER taught to animals.

Thank you for reading.  I welcome any comments, either to the list or
privately.  I have provided my email address.

Bryan Hollingsworth, and Mithryl