From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:09:15 -0400
It was a lovely day at the Bridge, Greeters were enjoying the sunshine,
and mingling with new ferrets who had arrived and were waiting for
their hoomans. Everyone was catching up on the odd jobs that had been
on hold for a few weeks.

Several of the "Mama ferrets" who had taken the very young arrivals
under their paws, were washing bedding for the kits, some were tending
gardens, some were just catching an extra nap, and Bridge Greeter No.
421 was watching some kits play a game of ball. There was a flurry of
activity and someone was running along the path to the park. Oliver,
No. 421's currier came running up through the brush. He was out of
breath, and sat down next to his boss.

"Oliver, whas you doin?" No. 421 asked. "Why you not playing ball with
the kits? I thought you liked to play ball, and we all has a day off
cause no one passed lately."

"I was swimming in the spring, sliding on the rocks, when my pager went
off, Oliver said. "The Receiving Angel has a special request -- dis one
be hard to do, so I came to ask for help. I needs to find the
Winchester Weezil camp."

"The Who," said No. 421. The Winchester Weezil Camp -- who are day?"

"I don't know, but we has a special Aussie Ferret, comin' through, name
is, wait till I get my ticket, Sage," Oliver said.  "Seems his Mom has
other kids here and she wants him to be with them."

"Winchester, Winchester, wait a minute, I'll bet that is the group over
by Horse Heaven," No. 421 said. "Seems dey lived in Kentucky where dey
have horses dat spend de day running round in a circle. I know where
dey is."

The two ferrets set off for the other side of the Ferret Division at
the Bridge and walked to the edge of the Meadow of Dreams. They slid
down a hill, and arrived at a flat field where many great big horses
were lounging around. The Winchester Weezil Camp was right on the edge.

Mr. B. and Spirit were playing ball with Angie and Spot. Little Noel
was lounging in a hammy.

"I y'all," said Mr. B. "What cha doin over here?"

"We has a special request from your hooman Mama," said No. 421. "She
wants you to greet her little Aussie ferret, Sage. He only lived with
her a little while, but she wants you to take care of him and make him
feel at home for her."

Mr. B. and Spirit left the camp with No. 421 and Oliver and they walked
back to the Bridge.

A little ferret was just stepping up to the Bridge. He had a blanket
over his back, and a sack full of something in one paw.

"Greetings," said No. 421. "Who goes there?"

"My name be Sage, and I is lonesome. I missin my Mamma who used to rock
me to sleep, and now, I'm all alone."

"Now, don't you worry 'bout dat," No. 421 said. "We has rockers here,
and you will not be alone. Your Mama send a special request and asked
her other ferrets to take you into their camp and take care of you for
her. I has Mr. B and Spirit here, and the rest of de crew is home at
the campsite making you some goodies after your long journey."

"Where is I?" Sage said. "I remember being nice and warm next to my mom
then I be here and an I thinks I lost, den a firefly lit the path for
me to get to here. I was very sick, and I was tired, and I had to take
a nap, and when I woke up, I started walking along dis path. I wishes I
had my mama here, I needs my ferret family Lavender and Thyme."

"Now come along with us," No. 421 said. "This is your new family, dey
all lived with your mama, and dey can help you with your memories. If
you wants to let your mama know you has arrived, we can send her a kiss
on the Gentle Breeze. Would you like that?"

Little Sage nodded, and looking right at Mr. B he said he would like to
see the campsite, and he had a stash of treats to share.

No. 421 called Gentle Breeze and Sage blew her a kiss. She waved
good-by, ruffling his fur as she went, and headed for the land down
under. She would wait until Sue stepped out of her house and brush
against her face, leaving the kiss from Sage.

Spirit put his paw around Sage and the three ferrets set off for the
Winchester Weezil Camp. No. 421 gave Oliver the rest of the day off,
and he sat down at the Bridge. He had been an abandon ferret in his
life on earth; he didn't even have a name, only No. 421 from the
breeder who turned him out. He could understand why Sage was upset,
but knew he would be happy in the Winchester Weezils camp. They were
a great group, and always had something going on.

No. 421 made his mark on the ticket from Sage, and when Oliver went to
the Gate tomorrow, he would return the ticket to the Receiving Angel
so all of Mama Sue's ferrets would be able to find each other, and
someday, she would be able to find them.

No. 421, greeting your ferrets at the Rainbow Bridge