Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:06:37 +1200
Hi guys,
Sam here again...

I've been warned that insulinoma may possibly be inherited.  If this is the
case, I'm planning to have my boy Guy neutered once he has regained some
strength, and is able to handle the operation well.  However, this will
prove interesting for my two unspeyed females.  I'm not planning to spey
them in the near future (although Gemn will be due this time next year), and
will need another male.  Now, I'm on the lookout.  Patently, it's been too
long since I've had an addition to my fuzzy family, and this is probably
just an excuse on my part to get myself another ferret.  Who's complaining?
Not me.  I'm looking at importing a male from overseas, preferably a whole
hob.  As New Zealand is rabies-free, I'm interested in obtaining a ferret
from a rabies-free country (sorry, America), so that I will have no problems
bringing him into the country.  I've been advised by MAF (Ministry of
Agriculture and Fisheries - the people in charge of quarantine and animal
health) that the best countries they can think of off-hand are England and
Australia.  I suggested getting a ferret from Europe, however MAF feels
that, even in rabies-free areas, there is still a slight risk, and they
don't like taking it.  I've got my hands tied here.  I don't want my new
ferret to be stuck in quarantine for six months, and MAF don't want to hold
a ferret at all if they can help it because they (quote) "don't have any
ferret quarantine facilities".

If anyone can give me ideas on where the best places to obtain a hob, I
would be grateful.  I'm looking for some colour variation, preferably a
mitt, blaze, striped white or DEW.  These colours are, to my knowledge,
unavailable in New Zealand (definately around where I am - there are only
sables, and a few albinos).  I'm not looking to breed as a business.  I have
several people interested in ferrets around here, who cannot get them due to
the short supply.  I wish an unusual hob, as all my babies are different
colours, and I prefer it that way (I can tell who's being naughty from a
distance).  All help and comments are appreciated.  Feel free to e-mail me
at [log in to unmask] with suggestions or comments.

As a matter of interest, to those who know of my boy, Guy, and his
insulinoma situation, he is still improving.  He still spends much of his
time sleeping (now he's decided my sleeping bag is better than his), and the
rest eating.  His food intake has increased considerably, and he's slowly
gaining weight.  Thanks to those who e-mailed with their support.  I
couldn't have done so well without you all.

Thanks for your help.
Sam