From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:14:32 -0800
>From:    "HalP." <[log in to unmask]>
>Illinois Ferret Owners:
>This is the address of the Illinois State Home Page... If you would call
>your State Representatives...Senators...Deptartment of Natural Resources...

If you reside in Illinois and are not yet a member, Join the Greater Chicago
Ferret Association.

>Let's make this thing big, and let's make it stick!  If we, voters who
>represent the FML, flood every relevant mailbox available, we can get
>ferrets the name they deserve, legally.  Let's get them domestic animal
>status, and more protection under the official name of "Pets."

At this point, mail campaigns will have little effect on the laws.  The
state IS AWARE that the laws need to be re-written to give regulatory bodies
more power to prosecute.  Both the Governor's Office and the State Vet have
echoed this.  Working with the legislature through the local ferret
associations can have more positive effect.  If you are not a member of a
pro-ferret organization in your state, join one.  If none exists, start one.
Then, research the laws pertaining to ferrets in your state and work with
the powers that be to get a bill drafted.  Going blindly into this endeavor
can do more harm than good.  Remember, in addition to Audubon and Sierra,
you will also have the opposition of several 'animal rights' groups (PETA,
ALF, etc...) that don't want one more 'captive' animal legalized.  Ferrets
are legal in Illinois only because they exist in the fringe.  To write laws
that give them better status is a long hard road, and one that must be
travelled with a reliable map.  Otherwise, a wrong turn could make Illinois
an FFZ.  I should also point out that Illinois has yet to put their Revised
Statutes online.  The best way to research them in Illinois, is through your
local public library.  My searches have only yielded two brief references to
"ferret", pertaining to the license fees.  I've been checking all references
to "dog", "cat", "domestic", "pet", "rabies", "quarantine" and "breeder",
just to name a few.

--
Roger McMillian                             Cinnamon Bear Productions
Greater Chicago Ferret Assn. Website: http://ferret.chi.il.us/ferret/