From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 19:34:23 -0700
Hi everyone.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered advice and kind thoughts and
prayers.

Cael had a needle aspiration of his kidneys today.  He came through the
short anesthesia and procedure with flying colors.  At first, the vet had
VERY little hope for my Cael, believing it was most likely inoperable
tumors on his kidneys.  But after having several of the other top notch
vets at the hospital look at his slides, it was determined that Cael is
suffering from lymphoma.

I am going to send the slides to a pathologist for a final determination.
I have a request in to Dr. Williams, but haven't heard back from him yet.

In the mean time, Cael will continue his round of amoxicilin, which he
hates.  Once it is determined that lymphoma is what we are dealing with,
I will begin a high dosage of prednisone, with the hopes that in a month
or so, enough improvement will be seen in Cael's condition to lower the
dosage and perhaps consider his eligability for chemotherapy.  I know an
aggressive treatment plan offers more hope of remission in most lymphoma
cases, but if Cael's improvement from the predisone is not significant, I
am told the chemo itself will be hard enough on him relative to the
possible gains that it isn't the vet's first choice.

But, after first talking with the vet this afternoon, when I was told,
"Well, you can either put him to sleep now, or wait until he gets worse,"
(this vet is wonderful, but his bedside manner has something to be
desired,) the news that he was prescribing medication with the hopes
remission was possible was music to my ears.

Cael is only my second ferret to be seriously ill.  I dealt ineffectively
with adrenal disease (and just about every complication thereof,) just
over a year ago.  I have plenty of experience with the more mundane ferret
ailments, but almost NO experience with something like this.  Anyone who
has ANY advice for someone dealing with lymphoma for the first time,
PLEASE feel free to contact me.

Once again, thanks to everyone who sent me and Cael wellwishes.  Cael and I
have talked about all the wonderful messages.  His little ears perk up and
he listens with interest, I swear.  Of course, after the first few words,
he stretches and wanders off, in typical ferret style.  What more would
you expect?

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Cael, Tasha, Robin and Nietzsche