From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 21:08:56 +0000
Hey All,

The weather is beautiful here parts.  I have really been enjoying it lately.
My flowers are really starting to look pretty.  The ferts all love it too,
keeping the windows open alot and plus, I have a cage I can carry outside
and put a handful in when I am working in the yard.

OK, here is my attempt to describe what I made to keep the ferts out of the
cabinets.  I got most of the parts at Micheal's, an hobby store, here.
Others I got at the hardware store.

My cabinets have 2 doors grouped, with an upright in between them.  They
also have pulls, not knobs, but I don't think that makes a difference here.

The parts-- 2 .25 inch by 2ft slats of hobby wood, 1 sack wooden spools (look
like thread spools), carriage bolts, nuts for them and washers with neoprene
on one side.

I glued the 2 slats together, couldn't find the exact width of wood I wanted.
I then cut 3.5 inch lengths out of this (this length was enough to overlap
each of the 2 cabinet doors when centered across the post). I then drilled a
hole, centered in the slats, large enough for the carriage bolt. Slide bolt
through. Then slide on spool (as a spacer), then one neoprene washer, neoprene
away from spool.

Drill one hole centered with pulls and post, in the post. Insert the carriage
bolt through this hole and then put another neoprene washer on bolt from
behind. Place nut on bolt and tighten.

This is basically a "T", which can be turned to prevent the doors from being
opened, but easily turned to open doors.  The neoprene will protect the
wood, and since you only drill one hole, I think this would work even for
renters.  The hole can be filled and stained when you leave.

I am going to stain the wood to match my cabinets and then glue decorations
on them to cover the bolt head.  I bought some little brass charms from
Micheal's for this.  You could also cut the wood lengths to fit the backing
plate for cabinet knobs to match existing hardware.

This has worked well, although I will have tighten the nuts occassionally to
keep the device snug.  Wing nuts would make this easier.

Margaret