From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:51:03 -0700
Just a sweet little story to share...

This morning I looked out into our gated ferret proof yard where I saw
2 squirrels digging in the grass and dirt looking for a morsel or two.
I opened the front door only to have one of the squirrels run off; but
the other squirrel, my squirrel, my monkey as I like to call him, sat
on his hind legs and waited while I went to the garage and came out
with the peanut jar. He immediately ran up the wood fence and around
to our waist high brick fence, which is where I normally leave treats
for him. He was about one foot from me when I held out a peanut for
him, he reached over smelled it but didn't take it. So I gingerly
laid it on the brick and he quickly picked it up and began spinning
it in his little hands only to drop it and look at me with a look of
disappointment. So I reached back into the 'peanut' jar and produced
a brazil nut - HIS FAVORITE. I held out my hand while he reached over
with his little cute twitching nose, and just as carefully as the ferts
take treats from my hand, my monkey took the nut from me! I couldn't
believe it! This wild 'tame' squirrel and I had bonded. After all these
months of seeing him and talking to him while replenishing the nut box,
we finally have a 'touching' relationship. Now if only he could figure
out what the ferts are!