Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:36:51 -0800
Darlene wrote:
>I wasn't posting about scent problems, but was glad to hear
>about that vanilla trick.  Thanks!***
>
>>Would you please explain what the vanilla trick is.

Glad to.  I have found that real vanilla extract is the best deodorizer
I have ever used.  I have a bowl with straight sides and is about 5" in
diameter.  I take a paper towel and fold it in pleats and in a manner that
it will fit into the bowl easily, without closing the pleats, making sure
the pleats are up and down.  (That way more surface area is exposed to help
increase the evaporation rate of the vanilla extract.) I then 'wet' the
paper towel with pure (real) vanilla extract and place in the room where
you might have objectionable odors.  I place mine where air movement will
help move the scent around.

If one shops at a Price/Costco, the 16 ounce bottles of pure vanilla
extract only costs about 5 dollars and a bottle lasts me about 2 -3 months.
I have to rewet the paper towels every 2 - 4 days and every other time, I
replace the paper pleating.

I have absolutely no odors except vanilla in my ferret room.  Oh yes,
vanilla esters are not harmful to my ferrets either!  (I am always suspect
of the commercially available deoderizers...chemicals are chemicals)

For our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)

[Moderator's note: Not sure which neat idea Darlene was remembering, so
here's two for one: In FML 3238, Pam Sessoms talked about using vanilla
extract to help guide blind ferrets.  She would dab it on corners and
furniture legs, even when travelling in hotel rooms, to help guide the
way for the blind ferrets via smell instead of sight.  BIG]