From:
Au Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1992 17:28:10 -0500
Chris,
   I apologize again for the mess with the address change. We (students) have
no control over what the "computer wizard" here at school does with the
network.

[Computer wizard?  Snort.]

I have a couple of questions. I have decided to start breeding
ferrets. One of the main reasons is to try and compete with/put out of business
a very poor ferret breeder in this area. He has about 100 ferrets stuck in
small cages outside. All they do is breed. He throws food in their cage and
gives them water, but they are never handled and receive no medical attention.
The ferrets are mean and in poor health, not pet quality ferrets. To dispose of
extras and the ones that fight, he "hits them over the head with a brick". The
he is able to sell these animals is because the people are unknowing and he
sells them very cheap ($20- $35) I'm wrestling with the idea of reporting him
to animal control but I'm concerned with being responsible for the deaths of
100 ferrets since animal control would almost surely euthanize them. Any
suggestions would be deeply appreciated. I'll ask the rest of the questions in
a different letter since this seems to be pretty long.
                   Jenny Au

[Unless you can undercut his price, I don't think that what you plan does
any good.  People are not going to buy from you when they can get them
cheaper elsewhere.  Trying to mount a compaign to "educate" the prospective
ferret buyer of the advantages of yours over his, would be ineffective,
expensive, and possibly leaving you open to libel or slander.  Ineffective
because a large number of ferrets are purchased on whim, and abandoned when
inconvenient.  And in the unlikely event you *do* succeed, what's he
going to do with his failed inventory?  Bash them all with a brick.
As painful as it may be, reporting him would be probably the most effective
and *humane* way to deal with the situation.  If nothing else, you've
prevented future generations of ferrets going through the same.  Besides,
one would imagine that if they're healthy enough to be bred, at least
some of them can have homes found for them.]