From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:58:41 -0500
List friends,

In pondering and answering phone calls about ferrets I have come to
a realization-- THERE ARE MANY of us ferret folks who in the name of
total darkness for ferret health have overlooked the benefits of NATURAL
sunlight and moreover the necessity of it for good ferret health.

How many ferrets reside in family rooms or rooms without ANY exposure
to daylight?  Too many for my comfort.  Many rescues come from basements
and family rooms where there is little if any natural lighting.  Most of
these all are lacking healthy coats.  A Healthy ferret requires DAYLIGHT
else our ferrets would look like moles without the need for eyes!  It
should be an accepted fact- humans health fails when deprived of natural
sunlight - both physically and mentally.  As the animal used for human
health medical research should we deny they also need natural light for
health?

Natural daylight IS a key component to good ferret health.  In my rescue
experience I have found ferrets deprived of daylight look adrenal-- once
exposed to natural lights they hair grows back.  That is a visible sign
that lighting plays as much a part in health as darkness.  BOTH ARE
NEEDED.

Besides the hair, Vitamins are gained from natural light-- ever noticed
your cat basking in the sunlight- given the opportunity ferrets will
also.  The immune system needs recharging and natural light is a helpful
component to a healthy immune system.  I know we all still have a lot to
learn on the best care for ferrets-- but lets not let the darkness
requirement deprive our pets of healthy sunlight!

Fondly in ferrets

Alicia D
www.ferretwise.org