From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:31:41 EST
There has been much discussion about the pros and cons of various make
ferret cages.  Here's some additional input.  We have a Midwest cage, sold
originally as a cat cage, with two swing-down doors and plastic base with
rollers.  As assembled it is fastened to the plastic base with small clips,
To facilitate cleaning we have removed the clips.  This allows the cage to
be lifted off and makes the cleaning infinitely easier and quicker.

Our two ferts are paper trained.  On one end of the cage we spread a baby's
receiving blanket across its width.  The other half of the cage we place
newspapers with about four inches hanging over the base's edge.  Newspapers
are a convenient size.  When the cage is lowered on to the base the blanket
and newspapers are neatly held in place.  Then, over the already in place
newspaper, we place another few sheets with a two or three inch fold along
the length that rests against the cage.  This catches the over enthusiastic
poops and keeps them in the cage.  Each morning and evening we remove the
used newspaper and replace it with clean.  About once a week we change the
entire base newspapers and blanket.

The trick, of course, is to have paper trained fuzzies.  They tried litter
but prefer the paper.

As for hammocks, we have made several with a velour type fabric.  For hooks
we used the "figure eight" hooks found in any hardware store.  One loop of
the hook is attached to the hammock and the other, opened enough to go
around the cage wire, is used to attach the hammock to the cage.  It works
perfectly and we've never had a hook detach and spill the little guys to
the floor.  Also, the hooks are a fraction of the cost of the elaborate,
but excellent, snap hooks normally used.

So, with two shelves to romp to, two huge hammocks to sleep in, a cat cube
in one corner of the base, the little guys have lots of area to explore and
to sleep in.  Also, a sewn up pair of jeans with a baby receiving blanket
stuffed in them, is on the lower shelf.  It serves as a little cushion for
the ferrets as they come down the ramp too fast and also as a little hiding
place to sleep.

A while ago we purchased a paper shredder and we found the ferrets love to
romp in a box of shreddings.  We filled a box, closed its top, cut several
circular holes in the sides, and let the ferrets loose in the box.  They
love it.

So, there are a couple of variations on a cage and hammocks.  Hope they
help you out there with cage problems.

Oh, so far our guys haven't tried lifting off the 25 pounds of cage, but
from what I read of some of the ferrets out on the net, they might just do
that -- and take it to their Ferret Mall.

Al Wiebe