From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:12:03 EST
>From:    "Piggott, Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>
>I am looking for a private breeder in my area, and have received one
>recommendation so far.  I live in Rochester, NY. ...

Well, you could try contacting WNYFLFA (Western NY and Finger Lakes Ferret
Assoc.). They are the local ferret club and would probably know of any local
breeders. They have a webpage located at:

       http://www.ferretcentral.org/for-others/wnyflfa.html

>Subject: Available ferrets in Buffalo area?
>I'm new to this list as I'm trying to give a home to a ferret.  I'm curious
>as where I should look for one, other than the pet stores?  ...

Well, you may wish to refer to the same webpage.  I'm the sure the WNYFLFA
(say winnie-fluff-fla) folks might be able to help direct you to local
shelters and the like.

One thing I can help you with, if you are looking for an excellent ferret
friendly vet and you live in the eastern Buffalo area, I would suggest
checking out the Brockport Animal Hospital.  We live near to an hour away
from Brockport, but have traveled there when we have had medical problems
with our ferrets that our normal vet doesn't have experience with.  Our
oldest had adrenal surgery done there and they took great care of him.

>Subject: ferret sighting
>Ok, ok...it was really a weasel.  ... I found a book that was WONDERFUL.
>It is called "Crow and Weasel" written by Barry Lopez. ...

Just so you know, this book is generally available in most medium to larger
bookstores.  Even if the story doesn't tickle your fancy, the illustrations
are quite wonderful.  And weasels do look a heck of a lot like ferrets!  ;)

Another good weasel book is _The Wainscott Weasel_ by Tor Seidler.  There a
whole family of weasel characters.  It's a nice story where the hero is a
weasel.  This book is nicely illustrated as well.

If looking for other heroic weasels, you might try _the Book of the Dun Cow_
by Walter Wangerin.  I read this book 15 years or more ago now, but I do
remember that the weasel character was one of the crucial characters in the
great battle between good (the animals) and evil (snakes, a Basilisk and a
Wyrm).  I won't give away the story, but in folklore, the weasel is the
natural enemy of the basilisk.  My ferrets are the natural enemy of my
vaccum cleaner.  Is there a connection?  You decide!  :)

Enjoy!

-kim,
 squirt (Ye-ow! The cleaners!), pippi (kill the horrible sucky monster!),
 atlas (protect the world from the noisey and all-devouring monster), and
 jinx (mom, what is that noisey thing?)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.