From:
Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:16:37 -0800
The latest data from the CDC is that the only definitive test for rabies
is done post mortem from the brain tissue of the animal.

As a pet, (which skunks can be and are!) He should have been held the 10
days rather than killed.  I think it also depends on where you live, and
the regs regarding if a skunk is considered a pet, an exotic pet, or a
wild animal.  If they had been licensed for taking in and caring for
wildlife, again, it depends not only on state laws, but county/city as
well.

I would ask, if they have skunk pets, if they had been vaccinated against
rabies?  That alone would have saved his life, and they may want to
consider that with any other poofers they have, or adopt in the future.

Skunks are soooooooooo adorable, not in the ferrety sense, but such a
personality... stubborn!  If we lived in an area that did not allow
ferrets, I'd have skunks..... Think our 13 +2 ferts would most vigorously
object were we to bring BIG poofers into our home tho!

Regarding the surgery vs lupron.  Living in the state where a lot of new
research has been done, the data so far shows that most (not all) ferrets
regrow adrenal tumors within 1-2 years.  The ferret-savvy Vets that are
in contact with the Vet/researcher are actually no longer doing surgery
for adrenal tumors, and are placing the ferts that are exhibiting
lupron-sensitive symptomology immediately on lupron.  Rather than
starting at 100 mcgs / month, the new protocol is start at 200 mcgs,
and go as high as 500 mcgs per month.

We have a female that within 6 months after adrenal surgery, became
symptomatic, and was placed on lupron... that was 3 years ago.  She
is now pushing 6, is blind, but still no return of the adrenal
problems/symptoms, nor can the Vet palpate any growths.  She has been
on 200 mcgs per month, and we've not had to increase it.

The other ferrets that we have on lupron have all become asymptomatic...
2 are also on pediapred for insulinoma, but so far, doing well, and
dooking away!

I realize that there are 'other' types of cancer that can be in the
adrenal glands that do not respond to the lupron, but I do not know what
the prognosis is for those specific types of cancer post operatively.

There is also a trial study to see if giving non-adrenal ferrets 100mcgs
of lupron in the Fall, and again in the Spring can actually keep the
ferrets from becoming adrenal.  We have 7 that are on the trial... and
none of them are youngsters, so we shall see.

Yes, lupron is pricey, but our babies are worth every penny, and we buy
it in 'bulk' which reduces the cost per shot per month of 200 mcgs to
around $12.00.

Well, that's about it from Wild Weasel Rez and Wildlife Sanctuary,
(Michelle) and to Wolfysluv... you go girl!