Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 00:53:21 EDT
In keeping up with the positive turn the FML has been taking with fun
posts and stories and such, I decided I would ask this question that I
have wondered for some time what other's would respond.

The question is this:
What exactly is it about ferrets that grab hold of your heart and never
let go??  I mean, there is love of cats and dogs and fish and hamsters,
etc., and I am not implying in any way that anyone here or anywhere else
can't love another animal as much as a ferret, but what is different
about them?  What makes them own you instead of you owning them?  Why do
you spend so much time laughing at them and grieving for them and
worrying about them?  I mean, I didn't even know what a ferret was until
about 6 months before they became legal here in MA.  I had always (and
still do) own cats.  I love my cats, and there isn't anything I wouldn't
do for them.  But those fuzzies!!  Talk about pulling on the heart
strings!!  Maybe it is because they depend on me so much more than the
cats do.  Maybe because they have more than a "You can touch me on my
terms only" personality.  I think a lot may have to do with the fact that
they look right into your eyes.  Try getting a cat to do that.  Maybe it
is the wealth of kisses.  Maybe it is the trust they put in me.  Maybe it
is the "hit and run" when they want attention or want to play.  Maybe it
is all of the above.  Maybe there is another reason.  What's your
reason(s)??  From the stories I have read here, I don't think I am the
only one here that think ferrets are really special.  So, can you answer
this question??

Kelly White
Southampton, Massachusetts