From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 14:38:15 -0400
I wrote:
>Melatonin a ferret studies has not caused any reduction in growths, but
>it has stopped increase in size of some; two somewhat similar meds,
>Lupron and Suprelorin, have caused some growths to reduce in size.

Note that Lupron and Suprelorin have similarities to each other, not
to melatonin.  (Yesterday was a zoo, with over 200 messages in one day.
On typical days I only have about 50.  So yesterday was 12 on- line
rush-rush-rush hours.)

The things about these approaches are that they have been extremely well
tested for safety, effectiveness, and results that have been replicated
by other researchers, plus they are being studied for further possible
applications such as possible prevention.  There are still reasons why
surgery remains the approach of choice except when health makes it not
possible.

Vicki asked why credentials matter.  They matter NOT FOR DISCUSSION BUT
FOR IMPORTANT CHOICES.  that's been said before and I don;t know how to
say it more clearly so I will just emphasize it.  Because I am not a vet
I expect people to take what I write with a grain of salt and discuss it
with the treating vet rather than weighing it more heavily or as heavily
as information from a thoroughly educated veterinary health professional.
Yeah, if it gets discounted then it gets discounted and I can't let ego
get in the way of that because honestly a well trained treating vet
knows one heck of a lot more than I do, and the point is NOT to win any
argument (which is silly in this context) but to simply do one's best to
get health info out there in case it can help.  If the vet is not ferret
knowledgeable then I count on the people using the vet locating resources
which many people including me often post or direct people to.  When
important choices must be made the credentials of people DO matter.  If
you are going to buy a house and want to know if the wiring is safe you
use an electrician and a fire marshall.  If your computer dies you have
someone who knows that hardware and the used software tackle it.  If you
have a shattered leg you use a fine orthopedic surgeon.  If you need the
right hairdo for a wedding you use a hairdresser.  If you get sued you
use a lawyer.  You don't have the fire marshall and electrician fix your
hair.  You don't have the lawyer check your wiring.  You don't have the
hairdresser fix your computer, or the surgeon argue your court case,
or... So, why not recognize and honor the credentials of vets for
veterinary health, of veterinary nutritionists for nutrition info, etc.

Below is part of what Vicki wrote with my comments inserted:
>I have only ever seen one person list or really deny any credentials and
>that's Sukie - guess I haven't received the list long enough either....

Caity, Russel and others also regularly let people know that they are not
vets, and I can't recall who but I do recall that I am not the only one
who points out the limits as well as strengths of her or his education.
It's true that not many people do that, but it is important information
when the choices being made are important ones.

>don't mind if I borrow you do you dear - She has experience to share
>and I do enjoy and have always enjoyed reading her thoughts on ferret
>issues... but as she keeps reminding us..  she's not a vet... does that
>make her info useless..  non-credentialed stuff... what's the big deal
>about credentials?  Does the fact that she's not a vet matter?

Yes, it sure does!  You are getting that right from the horse's mouth,
too, given that it is me you are talking about!  Because I am not a vet
I have gaps in my knowledge and the thing about gaps is that often enough
a person doesn't even know that she or he has them until a wall gets run
into.  Frankly, I prefer avoiding walls, and I also prefer not directing
people smack dab into any, so I prefer reminding people to use a grain of
salt when reading posts and that when making important choices
credentials matter.

For discussion, no, they don't matter, but when choices are made based
upon a discussion then they need to be taken seriously.

Common sense things should be taken seriously, too.  For instance, if
someone presents a riveting idea but when you think about it the idea
doesn't seem to mesh up with what things have actually required vet care
in your ferrets through the years or whatever -- well, it is logical to
realize that you may have an exception or maybe the concept sounded great
but in practice it might have its shaky points.

>does it reduce her competency or level of knowledge...

No, but it also does NOT increase my competency or knowledge to the level
of a well trained veterinary professional, or any other professional
whose education and experience include things I never learned.

>and besides Aren't we all just sharing our experiences and knowledge
>here..  so why in the world would credentials be needed here?

They are not needed for discussion, but they are important when weighing
possible ACTIONS to take, and people here do act using what they read.
Fortunately, I think most people here keep discussion and action separate
and do use grains of salt.  I apologize for not being clear enough in my
post about the distinction.  (And I still do think that periodic frank
disclosure of background so that readers can weigh a person's weaknesses
as well as strengths is simply fair when the discussion is of something a
person might act upon in relation to health.) So, that is it, right from
the horse's mouth.