Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 10:08:00 CDT
I've been dealing with insulinoma for 3 years now (family line) and I've
used Prelone alone on Nikki and Prelone and Proglycem on Whitney.  The
difference of adding Proglycem is amazing.  Nikki would have frequent
seizures and we constantly stressed.  My vet didn't want to prescribe
Proglycem because it was a new drug so I trusted his decision.  Nikki
died early in April 1992, 1 year after his diagnosis.  Surgery was
performed twice but the tumors were not found.  When Whitney was
diagnosed in Dec of 92 as having an insulinoma because of her age
i opted for the the medication instead of surgery.  I insisted on
Proglycem and boy what a wonderful difference.  It took me about
3 months to get her regulated (vet gave initial dosage and I was to
adapt it to her needs) and she's still with me today.  Granted, she
doesn't play but she will cuddle and loves to have the back of her
neck scratched.  I feed her a special diet twice a day before and after
medicating.  She's down to .10 of 1 cc on the prelone and .25 of 1 cc
on the proglycem.  Proglycem runs about $90 a bottle and I refill it
every 6 weeks - money is no question when it comes to ferret health at
our house.  For all the love they've given me I could never repay it.
Whitney's sister and mother have shown signs of insulinoma but so far
I've been able to regulate them with diet and extra feedings.  Whitney
is 7 years old and her mom is 7 1/2.  Nikki died at 6 so I truly count
my blessings.

Chris and Scooter -
Yes take Scooter to the vet.  Better safe than sorry when it comes to these
fragile babies.  I've heard that stones are common in ferrets.  What do you
say Doctors?

Jan -
Congratulations!  Way to go!  Wanna come to Kansas?!?

Clint -
Fleas are a pesky little creature.  I don't even take my dogs for walks
in fear of bringing one in.  Knock on wood - we've been flea free for
2 or 3 years now.  I use 7 dust in the yard if I see one flea - use it
on the carpet too (only carpet is in the kitchen), sweep it in, let it
set for about an hour and then vaccuum.  When a new ferret comes in first
thing I do is check for fleas and if I see any dirt they immediately get
a bath with Adams flea soap - safe for kittens and puppies.  I pick
every single flea off as I'm washing - usually by the time I finish the
ferret is almost dry!  You'll have to treat under furniture too.

RJREIS -
Thanks for the addresses.  I'll get my letters out today.

Hugs to all fuzzies!   Troy Lynn