From:
meryl faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:11:53 -0700
I'm wondering since the ferret kits were born June 20 and since they
are still nursing, what the chunks of food are in the pan in the
nestbox. Cyan seems to be a good mom, this morning (pacific time) at
about 9.30 pm she was nursing them, but now before noon (again PST) one
looked like it was eating out of the food pan. Cyan seems to be a good
mom, again this am she hauled several who seemed to be inclined to go
out the exit back in by the scruff. When she was asleep I noticed one
brave kit looked out the entrance hole, then hesitated and returned
to mom. Yesterday I thought I saw her bring small pieces of something
from outside and eat it while she was with the kits. Does anyone know
whether they get all meat, or do the adults get any kibble type diet
supplement since the raw/cooked? meat might not be balanced. I'm not a
diet freak so am just curious what the National zoo uses. Anyone know?
Also, does mom wean them ? And do domestic ferrets also allow kits to
voluntarily wean - ie does the milk supply just start to diminish as
they start to move around and self feed - or as in humans (as in India
where children are nursed for longer than in Europe) if the stimulus
suckling continues, does ferret mom continue to produce milk. Do any
ferret breeders notice differences in weaning times with ferret
females, or are they all pretty much the same?

That Ferretcam is addictive - it's kind of like watching grass grow,
but not as boring, ie very soothing, interesting, and slightly
humorous. I watched them all sleeping for about 3-4 minutes then
realized I had work - to do, ie live creatures, to take care of.
Got to turn this laptop off and get stuff done!!!

Meryl