From:
Teresa Knezek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:12:28 -0800
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 04:00:00 -0400,  Melanee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A woman here wants to adopt a ferret or two.  She has a Chow dog as a
> pet.  Are Chows good with ferrets?  As I recall they are not, but I
> may be wrong.  She claims that the dog is very gentle and won't hurt
> anything.

A chow's temperment depends largely on its breeding as well as its
upbringing.  My family used to own one chow that curled up to take naps
with our family cat... almost all of the chows we bred ourselves got to
know (and learn a healthy respect for!) the cat when they were young,
and never caused a problem.  But we later got another chow (bred and
raised elsewhere) that would chase the cat up a tree.

In general, I would think a guard breed like chows would be safer with
other pets as compared to a hunting breed where anything small is prey,
IF (and ONLY IF) the dog is gentle AND convinced/taught the ferret is
part of the "family" the dog takes care of.  BUT, even if the dog and
ferret seemed to get along well, under NO circumstances, with ANY breed
of dog, would I leave a ferret out to play unattended unless the dog was
shut outside or in a separate room.

Would it be possible for you to go to the womans house with the ferret(s)
to hold them during an initial introduction to the dog, to see how the
dog reacts?  You could then see her house and discuss options she has
for keeping the dog separated during playtime if it seems necessary.

-Teresa