From:
Dolores Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 13:39:11 -0600
Hi all!  When I got up this morning I went to say hi to my babies like
usual when I noticed that one of them had vomitted a couple times.  So I
got them out and started to clean up the cage, when I noticed that there
was some strange poopy in the litter pan.  So I pulled the pan out and in
it was 2 piles of loose, almost mucusey, poop.  Then I kept an eye on them
as they played and one of my boys (Rocco) was just kinda plopped down and
not really playing like his usual self.  He just got up and ran off.  I
followed him and found him curling up to go to sleep!  Now Rocco is usually
romping like crazy in the morning, so I know something was wrong.  I picked
him up and he just laid there ( he's usually squiggly!).  So I immediately
started thinking the worst, ECE or something.  I pulled out my library of
ferret books and started looking through them for signs/symptoms.
Everything I read said that w/ ECE it's green, really loose, spattering
stools.  His weren't like that.  But to be careful I set up an extra cage
and cleaned out the other one really good and threw out the litter and
scrubbed out the pan, washed the bedding, etc.  So now I have him separated
from the rest.  I got him to eat a little bit and gave him some Ferretvite
and some pedialyte.  He also drank up quite a bit of water when I offered
it to him.  (Good sign?) No more vomitting, stool still loose.  Plus I have
another possible reason for him being sick.  I just brought in a baby
ferret this weekend.  He's very jealous.  I've had the baby separated from
the others the whole time, her stools are normal, so I don't think she has
it or brought it in.  The others seem fine also.  Could it be stress?  I've
read and heard that stress can upset their little tummies.  I had him out
later by himself and he played a little bit and I got a little bit of a
weasel dance out of him.  He drank some more water and took a treat, did
some exploring.  He seemed a little more himself.  He went to the bathroom
again and this time it was loose, but more like diareah and not really
mucusey.  Please help.  Give me your advice and opinions on what you think
it may be.  Your help is greatly apreciated to calm my worries.  Thanks.
Please email me directly at [log in to unmask] or post it on the FML.

Thanks aagain.  :)

Sincerely,
Kris Mink and her fuzzy fivesome=20