From:
Krista Hand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:58:17 -0700
Sorry I haven t updated for a while, we have been busy in Pullman, WA.
I took Medb (at the suggestion of my sister) to Washington State
University.  They have a top notch Vet Med program there, and as my
sister said (she is a vet tech there) they don t get many ferrets, so it
would be a treat for them.

We got there on Wednesday, and after a short wait, Dr. K (as she is
known) came out with three students.  On the way to the exam room, we
collected another student.  As I was giving the history, I mentioned that
my vet had Medb on Prednisone, and I couldn t remember the dose (15 on
the syringe!!!) so I ran out to my car to check, and when I returned, we
had attracted another 3-5 students.  Medb was very popular.  Everyone
thought she was sooooo cute.  She is a 1.07 lb albino, irresistible.

They did a MRI, and a CFS test (do not ask me what that stands for,
because I don t know), which is a human equivalent of a spinal tap.  The
theories were spinal cord or brain inflammation due to trauma, disease or
metab olic issues.  As many times as they tested her glucose they decided
she does NOT have Insulinoma.  The MRI came back with no abnormalities
(the gentleman who read it is used to reading MRIs on rats, so he knows
to look good on small animals).  The CFS test also came back with no
abnormalities, BUT they could not take enough fluid for a complete panel.
Apparently they can only take 1 cc per 10lbs of the animal without
causing irreparable damage.  With Medb, they could only take .10 cc.
The report will read no abnormalities, but there was something (I don t
remember what) present is a very small quantity that might suggest
inflammation.

Her liver counts also suggested stress/trauma.  So, we aren t really sure
what is wrong with her, but Dr. K prescribed an aggressive support plan,
with Prednisone, sulfa trim and another antibiotic.  Her decision on
these antibiotics was because they can penetrate inflammation in the
spinal cord and brain, where as others cannot.  She later told me (thank
God right before we left and not at the beginning) that some of her
colleagues had suggested putting Medb down, but she felt that Medb has
just too much fight left in her.  She is having seizures, but I was sent
home with Valium.  She is eating like a pig, and drinking (Pedialyte,
grape flavoured) well.  She isn t moving much better, but I was advised
that it would take a MINIMUM of 2 weeks before we see any improvement (if
at all).  If she does not improve, I may get her one of those carts for
disabled animals (her front paws are stronger).  I have to do physical
therapy on her, and will see if she wants to swim.  She is a mess, only
because she has to be supported when eating and drinking (she is a brown
purple colour thanks to food and Pedialyte) and will need frequent lower
half cleanings because she deficates and urinates on herself.  She has
peed on me about 6 times now - She does have energy, and I am hoping this
is all a good indicater of at least a partial recovery.

I want to thank everyone for there letters, thoughts, and prayers.
Please continue praying for us, I will update as things progress.  Also:
THANK YOU TO THE STAFF AND STUDENTS AT WAZZU!!!  YOU GUYS WERE GREAT!!!
And thanks to my sister and brother, your support has been beyond
helpful.  Thanks to all

Krista

KK she gots ta put her 2 cents in.  Now my turn!!!  What is it wit u
hoomans and my butt.  Momma puts medicine in dare, and ya ll take my
temperature dare too.  I still no feel good, I tired.  I hungry too.
Momma feeds me this stuff (she hates it, says it smell yucky, an lookz
the same going in an comin out) but I luv it.  And then she give me this
grape stuff to drink, yummy.  I kinda sad, cuz I can no play wit da boys.
I wanna dook an run, but my legs won t let me.  So I just kinda lie here.
But momma sayz I getting better, an she don t cry as much.  I have
seizures, wow there weird, an they freak momma out.  I wanna get better,
cuz then I can bite momma s ankles, an dance and make momma laugh again.
And terrorize da cats!!!  World domination is within my grasp, I just
hafta get my grasp stronger now.  Well, dooks to all.  Thanks to all who
help momma and me, with your nice letters.  I wanna say we also thinkin
of everyone whose little ones are Rainbow side or soon to be dare.  I
sorry for hoo mans missin dare friends.  Everyone take care, an I will
get better.  DOOK!!!!  luv Medb

Love,
Krista

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans for
welfare and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope" Jeremiah 29:11