From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 02:38:44 -0500
My Jake is gone.  He's been on Lupron for two years and recently
developed insulinoma, but I guess it was the liver problems Dr. Edling
discovered last month that took him so quickly.  He was special for
being my first Little Buddy, as I call my boys.  I had two young and two
old girls when we adopted Jake, and he taught me that the boys can be
different.  Funny Jake.  He was so tickled when he war danced that he
almost tied himself in knots with summersaults.  The man who gave him
away said, "See!  See!  Doesn't he look like he has rabies?" For several
years Jake was the Alpha ferret.  I was never sure if it was because he
danced funnier than anyone, or if he just got the job because no one else
wanted it.  Jake was also the Minister of Funny Walks with his fussy
little prancing as he crossed the floor.  He loved to have me chase him
while I imitated his "Heh heh heh heh" that meant "Playtime!  Let's
pretend we're fierce!" Jakey also gave such loving kisses, more and more
as he grew older and felt less well.

Zoe will be following Jake too soon.  I thought she would be the next
because, in addition to adrenal disease and insulinoma, she has
lymphosarcoma now and she's 7.5.  She will be the sixth ferret I've lost
since last August... In the meantime, she is absolutely craving Reiki.
It surprises even me.  Our special time together has always been on the
couch.  She wanders around next to me while I skritch her head and back.
Now she stretches out full length and zones out while I give her Reiki
with one hand on either side of her body.  She'll just lie there for 5-10
minutes, then get up and wander off to sniff the insides of the bags on
the floor.  I know this is not one of those wonderful times when Reiki
will cure a problem, but I can tell that it must be relieving her pain
or comforting her in some very deep way.  Reiki is always lovely, but
since the first weekend I learned it, it has been most special for
helping ferrets through their last days and hours.  When I can help a
dying ferret stop whimpering and just be more peaceful, it means more
than I can say.

Blessings
Judith
--