From:
Michelle Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 02:53:51 -0600
I dont know, I am always one to think there is a perfect logical reason for
someone being rude, or appearing to be rude.  Was this person given the
total rundown of shelter policies apon entering and inquiring about "buying
a ferret"?  Was she told this was like another adoption (comparing to human
adoption) and just would not be walking out with a ferret?  Do many shelters
offer a pamphlet, or anything stating "these are the procedures and rules we
follow, and you must meet the criteria before adopting" ?  I have not
visited a shelter, but I think it would be a good idea if its not allready
done.  Maybe a sign stating "we reserve the right to refuse adoption to any
shady characters wanting a quick fuzzy"....

It would get rid of alot of impulse buyers, I know that.  Any wait to adopt
a ferret would be worth it.  I get so tired of seeing ads in the paper that
say "ferret for sale, 9weeks old, cage included"....when you see that you
almost always know the story.  Impulse buy, or uneducated buy.  What could a
ferret do at 9 weeks that would make someone want to get rid of it already?
I see ads like this every day, several times a week.  I know if these people
who place these ads had to go through an adoption procedure, they probably
would not have "purchased" the ferret in the first place.

Chelle