From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:09:21 -0500
I well recall the days when vets talked about 1/4 of the ferrets which went
under the scalpel dying, and I do remember that ketamine was one of the
things people tried to use back then.  What I don't know is what proportion
of ferrets put under with that specific drug died.  The survival numbers
changed DRAMATICALLY for the better once Isoflurine became the standard --
reports of anesthesia death still happen, but now are rare.  Those wanting
to learn about a new optional injectible which gives MUCH BETTER control
than ketamine should watch here for an eventual report from Dr. Karen (when
she feels there's enough data for this to be a reliable report) to tell
about one she's tried recently should it continue to do well.

Any of us from back then DREAD the idea of seeing those kinds of death
numbers that we used to see.  That's why compiling data on anesthesia death
was one of the first ferret health actions.

Sukie