From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 16:06:07 EST
Re: Ferret Freedom Day!
Squirt, Pippi, Atlas, and Hijinx want to wish all their Massachusetts
ferret brothers and sisters a hearty congratulations on their freedom!
Come out of the closets...or not if you choose. They are fun places to
play!! :)  (Pippi made me say this.)

Re: animals and our feelings
>for us and God, yes they have souls!  I read an article about a year ago
>which stated that researchers now think that animals have cognitive
>thinking.  I almost choked.  I thought "what a waste of an education and a
>lot of money (for research).  Why didn't the fools just go out and get an
>animal and spend some time with it!  Maybe I live in the twilight zone but

Yeah...no offense to the science community, but sometimes scientists/
researchers/etc.  are real masters of the obvious.  They spend oodles of
time to prove what people have already known for years.  I agree with you
that all you have to do is spend time/live with an animal and you can't help
but to see that they are thinking, feeling creatures.  I've found ferrets to
be some of the most expressive and intelligent animals I've had the
oppurtunity to share my life with.  And sometimes, much to my dismay, some
of the most determined and persistant!!  ;)

Re: cartoonists or other artist wanted...
<about a need for a trademark character for which a ferret would be perfect!>
I think a "speedy" ferret who zips from one place to another (of course
digging a hole *wherever* he stops) would be perfect.  It would be kind of
like a "Speedy Gonzales" for the ferret world.

In _Symbolic & Mythological Animals_ by J.C. Cooper, a ferret is said
to symbolize "persistant pursuit". (Don't they ever!) Zippy the Ferret
would be in constant, high-speed pursuit of holes that need a'digging!

Re: 'Round the World in 80 days
Squirt, in perfect ferret style, has been having way too much fun to think
about writing a postcard and telling us about his travels.  I do know he had
fun in New Orleans at Mardi Gras, he pooped in the Grand Canyon, visited
Sasquatch in Washington state, and visited Disneyland.  I hear tell he's
been spotted in Cairo (Egypt, of course!).  Perhaps he'll take a few moments
soon to update us on his travels.

-kim, squirt (The Brain), Pippi ("It's Pippi and the Brain..."), Atlas
 ('da big lug), and 'Jinx (The Flash)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.