From:
Michelle Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 23:32:40 -0700
Well, a little more bad news.  Our first ferret, Honey, died almost three weeks
ago, I haven't felt up to relaly talking about it until now.  He was five months
old and a MF ferret.  What happened is a bit of a long story.

We were in the middle of moving from Wyoming to Colorado and the first night
after packing, we heard HOney throwing up in the middle of the night.  We
figured that he might have eaten something he shouldn't have because of all
the upset around the house and gave him some Laxatone to see if it would help.
The next night, while we were packing furiously becase that was the night we
had to leave Wyoming, his throwing up was getting worse and we noticed he
was looking thinner.  We called the emergency vet service number and took him
in.  HOney had a barium series of X-rays, but the vet didn't see anything.
He gave Honey a little subcutanious fliud (not much, he didn't tolerate it
well) and said that it might have been indigestion and the barium might make
him feel better, but that we should take him in to the vet when we got to
Colorado.  Well, the first day or two, he did seem to be feeling better, but
the vomitting started getting worse and worse again, and he got very thing
all of a sudden, so we went to the vet here.  When we got him there, they
felt a mass in his tummy and decided to do surgery.  By the time he went into
surgery, he was so weak they didn't dare anestetize him.  The discovered that
the mass was just compressed feces and he actually had a lymphoma that had
metasticized into his intestines.  He died during the surgery.  *sigh*
(BTW, excuse some of the spelling errors, I can't spell tonight, so I asked
my roommate, and I'm sur he told me some wrong spellings).  WE were told that
he probably had the cancer his entire life and it might have contributed to
him being so undersized.  (He didn't even weigh two pounds.)

Well, our other ferret, Taz, was just heartbroken.  He seemed depressed and
started following Kirk and I around constantly like he wa safraid we would
disappear.  We fell in love with another kit in a pet store and bought her
(her name is Coffee), but of course, we still miss our baby and Taz still
misses him a lot too, and will still follow us both around if we're out of
the
house for very long.  But Coffee is helping to fill the hole in our hearts and
house.

On a subject a bit less depressing, one of our local pet stores is willing
to order Totally Ferret for us, but they need the name and address and phone
number of the company that makes it...could someone help us out here?  It
would be much appreciated.

[Moderator's note - I already replied to Michelle with this info.  BIG]

Michelle
PS...thanks for sitting through the long story