From:
"Bostrom, Michael A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:31:40 -0700
Howdy,

On August 24, in the wee hours of the morning, Mr. Lugnut Chains finally
gave up his battle with insulinoma.  He had gone into shock the day before
and became totally unresponsive.  Karo syrup was of no help.  Every so often
he would let out a blood-curdling shriek.  A quick call to the emergency vet
and we were off (if you ever want to see a VW Bug do 100 mph, watch me when
I'm taking one of my animals in on an emergency).  The doc tested his blood
sugar, it was down to 17, which according to the vet was barely compatible
with life.  He gave him some glucose both intravenously and orally to get
his sugar level back up.  The doc wanted to keep him overnight and when I
left, Lugnut seemed to be slightly more responsive.  I left hopeful, but
still feared the worse.  Then it happened.  The vet said his heart just
starting getting slower and slower until it just finally quit.  He died at
the age of about 13 years old, possibly older.

Once before, I was scared I was going to lose him.  His bestest buddy,
Scandal, a female sable, died.  These two had bonded so close that if
soulmates do exist these two definitely were.  After she died he went into a
deep depression, he wouldn't eat and didn't want to play at all.  I thank
the gods that we had just adopted a little silver kit who kept him company
or I'm sure he would've died from despair.  But with love from all of us,
he eventually came out of it, although he never was the same.  He started
slowing down and didn't play as much, preferring to spend most of his time
sleeping.  There were times when he would be feeling really good and would
actually start wardancing and wrestling with the other ferrets.  These
occasions would bring a smile to my face and a tear to my eye because as
time went on they came further and further apart.

Now I'm going to be driving back to Montana so I can bury him up in the
mountains next to his beloved Scandal. I get comfort from the fact that
I know he's been reunited with her after a long wait.

Good-Bye Old Man, we'll miss you.

Limejello & The Weezils of Doom