Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:28:00 CDT
We finally got our patio enclosure supervision ferret proofed last night.
As I anxiously awaited the ferrets, they dawdled on the steps, when they
got to the landing instead of coming outside they continued down to the
basement wall (actually a door but we tell them it is a wall)!  I was
squirming in my seat in anticipation and they did this to me!  Finally
after some time the first few slowly and cautiously wandered out the door.
They checked every side for any forgotten ferret size holes and were quite
disappointed at not finding any, then climbed each side to see if there
were any up there.  It didn't matter that they were in a 15x12 ft enclosure
- 12x12 concrete & 12x3 grass - with screen to keep bugs out and wire to
keep ferrets in (wire over grass area attached to outside of panels), they
wanted more!  Honey was the funniest.  This was the first time for steps
for everyone too and as she would lean real far out over each step and
start to go down her back legs were scrambling to get a hold (impossible on
concrete steps).  When she finally made it out the door (probably the only
ferret NOT to go down to the basement) every hair on her tail stood
straight out!  Binky curled right up in the grass and went to sleep, only
to budge when someone would climb over him (well he was in the middle).
The rock slab was an interesting place to explore for some (hmmm..  may
want to put more concrete in the cracks there), and others climbed the
picnic table (don't know they got up there).  Not everyone came out since
it was so late they were already in bed.  I'm anxious to get home tonight
so we can spend the evening outside (after I feed but chores will have to
wait)!  Carmel who is 90% blind (his eye slits aren't wide enough to open
but one has a very slight opening) found a tennis ball on the ledge (he
loves tennis balls) before Nancy brought him out and after he made his once
around he went back in by himself, found the ball and took it to his room!
He remembered where it was and HE figured out how to get it.  These little
critters are so smart!
Hugs to all!  tle