From:
Adrienne Boerger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:05:45 PDT
>It's now getting down to individuals asking for help to cover their
>personal vet bills. But it kind of gets my goat for people to ask for
>money for a situation they created.

I was surprised to see someone bring this up since I was JUST discussing
this issue with my friend last night!

I completely agree that it is getting out of hand.  It seems that every
time I read the FML there is someone complaining about "lack of funds" or
something like that when it comes to their pet's care.  It's ridiculous.  I
am not a wealthy person by any means but I also don't take on any financial
burdens that I cannot cover myself.  I would never have gotten a ferret if
I couldn't afford the consequences of having one (or three in my case).  I
don't know all the details of the situation in CA but I did see the plea
asking for money and I have to say that it's HIS PROBLEM, not mine.  I
really do hope the ferrets are in good hands and aren't going to suffer too
much from this but this person was taking a big risk by having 13 ferrets
in CA and it's really not up to me or anyone else to pay for his mistake.
I also don't get people who are constantly "short of funds" when it comes
to paying the vet.  They aren't asking for money to pay for their utilities
are they?  Nope, just their pets.  It's like they are playing on other
peoples's sympathies to get money from them.  I mean, if anyone here wants
to give me $30 to pay for the vet appointment I had last night, I would
really appreciate it because then I could spend that money to go out to a
nice dinner tonight!

I'm bound to get some nasty responses for this post but it's how I feel.
I don't buy things I can't afford, or run up my credit cards, and I don't
think people should have pets at all if they can't afford them.  It's a
luxury, not a right.

Adrienne (and Misty, Casey and LouLou)