From:
"Kramer, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 07:49:00 EST
Hi everyone,  I forwarded this letter to a few people fighting the same
battle and received suggestions to post it in the FML.  Sorry about the
length, but maybe this will help or inspire others to do the same in their
area.

James Kramer
#920 - 141 Cooper Street
Ottawa, ON  K2P 0E8
(613) 235-2905

January 16, 1995

Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
3225 Sartelon Street
Montreal, PQ  H4R 1E8

Ferrets and Bedding

To whom it may concern:

Although I was not previously very familiar with ferrets, I recently
purchased two young Hagen kits after learning so many positive things about
ferrets through reading and research via the Internet.

I was surprised to learn from numerous ferret experts on the Internet that
cedar chips are hazardous to ferrets' health, particularly since Hagen
promotes chips as bedding materials and includes them in their ferret
starter kits.

In an effort to resolve the conflicting information coming from Hagen
vis-a-vis other ferret experts, I sought the advice of Dr. Bruce Williams, a
highly regarded and respected DVM at the Department of Veterinary Pathology
in Washington, DC. Dr. Williams complements his professional work with
ferrets by devoting an immense amount of his personal time to addressing the
questions and concerns of ferret owners from around the world via the
Internet.

As summarised in Dr. Williams' attached article, cedar shavings release
volatile hydrocarbons that affect animals living in them.  His experience
and research suggest Hagen may be misguided in its promotion of cedar chips
as bedding material for ferrets.  I would implore you to provide this
information together with general care tips with each ferretIs vaccination
papers (as opposed to with the starter kit, since many people opt for a more
spacious cage that has room for a litter box).

If Hagen refutes Dr. Williams' findings, I would be interested in knowing
the sources of research contradicting the investigations of Dr. Williams and
other recognised experts in the area of ferrets.

I look forward to your reply and encourage you to share in the wealth of
information exchanged on the Ferret Mailing List if you have an Internet
address.  I would be more than happy to help you receive this daily digest
if you are not already familiar with it.

Yours truly,

James Kramer

(new page)

From:    Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>

WHY NOT CEDAR SHAVINGS?

[Moderator's note: Since the Dr. Williams' letter appeared in the FML just
a few issues ago (in FML 1071), I'm deleting it from here.  If anyone needs
that issue but can't get the back issues for whatever reason, please let me
know and I'll send you a copy myself.  BIG]