From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 00:16:08 -0700
Hi,

I just adopted two new ferrets, roughly about 6-8 months of age.  It
wasn't planned, but a co-worker knew I had ferrets and wanted to get rid
of her son's ferrets.  He was 11 and wasn't taking care of them.

I have nine and didn't plan on any more.  But she brought them to work
and told me she had them out in the car in a box.  It was about 80
degrees out.  I kinda freaked out, and said "what are you going to do
with them?" She said I could take them if I wanted since I liked ferrets
so much, or she was going to give them to animal control.

So, of course I was worried and had to go see them right away and fell
in love.  (Everyone at the hospital knows me as the "ferret lady")  Poor
babies..  One is a marked white the other a white mitt and so scared and
cute.  Dirty ears and long nails and eating cat food.

So here I am with eleven ferrets!  Oh my gosh!!  Which i don't mind, but
the problem is intergrating the new kidz with the bunch.  it's been 4
days and I keep the new kidz seperated except for supervised time outs.
Alot of rough play and dragging of the new ferts, but almost everyone
seems to be adjusting.  But my one little girl Ruby, who is my deaf gal,
is out for blood.  Especially for the new white gal.  Ruby grabs her by
the scruff and shakes her so hard and won't let go.  The new gal cries
and hisses.  It is so scary.

I keep seperating them.  But for some strange reason Ruby hates this
little gal and won't leave her alone.  I have tried exchanging bedding,
bathes and letting them together in a new and neutral enviroment for
supervised get togethers.  I don't understand, my Ruby Doobers is usually
such a sweet and submissive ferret.  She is a kissy gal who loves to roll
over for attention and show me her little belly, for rubbings.

I feel so anxious, what if they never learn to get along?  this poor
little new gal, she has had such a rough start all ready.  I am trying to
make sure everyone gets a lot of attention and treats.  So no one gets
jealous.  But this is a stressfull time.  Does any one have any tips or
advice??

I hate to see any ferret cry and hiss, it is stresses ME out!  I feel
so bad, both for Ruby, who is upset and the new baby, who is scared to
death.  I just hope they all learn to get along.

I just don't know what to do!!!

Thank you,
suzi

P.S I cross posted, so please forgive if you have to see this more than
once.