From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:06:26 -0700
>My friends and family have good husbands.  Yet when the women need major
>surgery, not a one of those men will postpone a camping trip with buddies
>or forego travel to a hockey game or schedule time off of work to be with
>their wives.
>
>The women sometimes have me to pick them up from the hospital .  I stay the
>day.  But then, I have to go home.  And then they are all alone with no one
>to help them.  They have children to care for.  Yet they cannot even stand
>up from the couch.  Their husbands do not care for them AT ALL when they
>are sick or injured or recovering from surgery!!!!!!!!.

I read this post and felt very sorry for Lisette.  Waking up and not being
able to move must be terrible.  Now while I must admit that moving around
and doing as much movement while in such pain and not knowing the cause
seems crazy to me, it is commendable to ensure that the ferrets were well
tended and taken care of.

However, when the generalized tirade began against "good" men - partically
"good husbands" and their lack of attention to ailing wives, I, as well as
my husband, was incredibly offended.

No one has the right to make such a generalization and this ferret listserv
is certainly not the place to voice anti-male sentiment.  I'm sorry if the
men in her life were of the lower percentages, but all men are not alike.
It is wrong to generalize about anything, be it about races, genders, or
even ferrets.  I think we all know what types of generalizations are being
made about ferrets that are giving them a bad name.  California and New
York City are proof of that.

Men vary in behaviour, just like women.  I don't want to be lumped into a
generalized category, and I sincerely doubt a man would either gauging from
my husband's reaction.

By the way, when I had my appendix out, my husband (fiance at the time) was
living and working two hours away in another city.  He ended driving those
two hours to work in the morning and two hours back so he could take care
of me while I was mending.  When I am unwell now, he ensures that I am
given what I need to get well again.

There are good husbands who really are good men.  But, again, I believe
this listserv is better suited for a discussion on the aspects of ferret
and ferret behaviour, and not on the battle of the sexes.

Paula

[Moderator's note: I took Lisette's description to be about the males
in HER life, not as a generalization.  But thanks for sticking up for
equality.  BIG]