From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:16:59 -0600
I read the LA Times article about Pat Wright at
http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20000221/t000016845.html.

While I agree that the punishment far exceeds his crimes, I am concerned
with the portrayal of Mr. Wright as a martyr, abandoned by the ferret
community.

There are excellent reasons for CFL to distance itself from Mr. Wright.
There are facts that haven't made it into the newspapers or onto the FML.
There is Mr. Wright's own ill-considered behavior.

Mr. Wright has put ferrets at risk with his actions.  Furthermore, he has
given the opponents of CA ferret legalisation the image of ferret owner
as knife-wielding outlaw, an image I'm sure they'll exploit for all it's
worth.  And it's an image that patently DOES NOT apply to the CA ferret
people I know.

CFL works tirelessly for ferret legalisation in CA.  Please continue to
support CFL and efforts to legalise ferrets in CA through education and
lobbying.  Attend hearings, rallies, protests -- but leave your ferrets
at home.

Civil disobedience is a grand thing.  Civil disobedience that endangers
ferrets is inexcusable.

[LE]