From:
Rachel Schafli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:10:03 -0500
I was hoping that a petition that I've just started could get posted
on the FML. Currently no major airlines allow ferrets as carry-on or
as checked cargo onboard their flights, and this petition is for Air
Canada to allow ferrets as carry-on and as checked baggage.

The ONLY way to transport a ferret is to fly them in unattended cargo,
which means if you wanted to have them on your own flight, you pay far
more than a cat or dog owner, AND you have to take a two hour detour
taking the bus to the cargo facility if you aren't driving to the
airport, and don't feel like paying an hour-long taxi fare, which would
cost roughly another $80. (Which was what Air Canada suggested to me
when I complained about the distance and difficulty in getting there-
yeah right!)

To put things in perspective, cat and dog owners can take their cats
and dogs (if they fit) onboard and put them under their seat, as well
as checking them under plane. This costs a flat rate of $100 per
direction. They also allow two animals in the same kennel to fly
together at no added cost, if they are the same species.

To fly my ferret "unnattended" (though he's going on my flight) costs
me $115 per direction, and the aggravation of figuring out exactly how
I'm going to get to the cargo facility with all my luggage in tow,
without car.

Another ferret owner recently paid $140 to fly her two ferrets across
Canada, as they were together in the same kennel. And again, she had
to figure out the extra stress of timing the drop-off/pick up of her
ferrets along with dropping off her luggage on either side. You have to
arrive 2-3hours early to drop off your ferrets to the cargo facility,
and it always takes at least two hours to receive them once you land,
effectively adding FOUR HOURS to you travel plans.

So not ok, this is why I'd like to share and spread this petition to
Air Canada. Once they change their policy, we'll be able to point to
them and petition other airlines to follow suit in allowing ferrets
on board.

Thank you!

The link to the petition:
<http://www.change.org/petitions/air-canada-allow-ferrets-as-carry-on-and-as-checked-baggage-on-their-flights>