From:
Debra Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:03:29 -0400
Hi Everyone,
Thank you to all that replyed to me about my baby's ear.  I will give you
the update on my little deaf boy Caleb....

The wonderful mother I have came today to take her little fuzzy grandbaby
ferret Caleb to the vet for me.  I had to go to work but seriously
thought about calling in sick to take care of his poor little ear.

For those of you that do not know what happened he apparently had his ear
bitten in play by our little girl ferret Faith with her sharp baby teeth
and gave him a big hematoma.  Last night we saw it when we went to clip
his nails and it was big and purple.  This AM it was still swollen and
the decision was made to call the vet.  By lunchtime it seemed to have
started to drain a bit but better safe than sorry.  Mom came to pick him
up and off to the vet he went.

Our regular vet was on vacation so we were at the hand's of her associate
that we had never met.  I waited patiently to hear from mom and the
seconds felt like hours.  She kept me updated and seemed to really like
this guy and I know she would tell me if she didn't.  When I heard that
he had a ferret himself I felt so much better.  Ferret people know that
if one has a ferret one knows how special these little beings are to us.
Much different than other animals and let me tell you I am a major animal
lover :-).

They kept him there to lance and drain his ear and apply a compression
bandage.  He was given antibiotics for 10 days 2x a day and told to be in
quarantine for his own safety for three days.  He was sedated and I came
home to hold this little bundle of fur in my arms.  I don't ever remember
feeling so helpless with an animal.  I have never even gotten sick when
there was something wrong with my cats but this one threw me over the
edge.  I work in the medical field so things like this I have seen a
dozen times before on patients and didn't bother me.  I guess maybe it is
that I know these little ones are so helpless and depend on us to help
them.  I am praying and ask for all your prayers that he will heal with
the help of the angels so that he does not require surgery as we all know
how much surgery takes out of our bodies.

All this has taught me how special these kids are.  Even more special
than I thought before.  It has also taught me that life is short and we
need to take special time for ourselves and pay special attention to our
little fuzzy ones that share our lives and homes.  They depend on us and
we on them for love and caring.

Have a wonderful week
Love & angel hugs
Debbie